“Poverty – the extent to which an individual does without resources: financial, emotional, mental, spiritual, physical, support systems, relationships and role models.”
A Framework for Understanding Poverty
How Poverty Ravages Childhood
It is staggering to witness the lack that can exist in a child’s life. We at Crossfire deal every day with those whose lives are ravaged and unbelievably complicated by the effects of generational poverty.
Financial poverty creates a poverty of the soul. Poverty robs people of options, dignity, hope, and vision.
Children trapped in poverty:
- Lack exposure to the broader world around them
- Lack the ability to function in “normal society”
- Lack education; lack social skills
- Lack self-discipline and self-esteem
- Lack stability and security
- Lack nutrition, sleep, and well-being
- Lack adult guidance and encouragement.
All of this lack permeates the lives of young people who live in the darkness of poverty.
How We Dismantle Poverty
There are many factors that influence one’s ability to escape poverty. At the core, however, is hope and purpose.
At Crossfire, we build relationships over lifetimes to teach youth their importance in this world and equip them with tools and skills to escape poverty.
It is a blessing to be part of this family and experience what the Lord does when he touches a heart, heals a mind, and changes a life.Francisco